About Near East University, Nicosia, Cyprus
|Country: Nicosia, Cyprus||Tuition Fees: €10000||Living Costs: €300|
|Courses: Medicine, Dentistry||Entrance exam: No||Graduate Entry: No|
The university was founded in 1988 in the capital of North Cyprus – the city of Nicosia. This international higher education institution offers extensive undergraduate and postgraduate education opportunities to over 26000 students coming from more than 100 countries.
Near East University has 20 faculties which comprise 220 departments and programs, 8 graduate schools with around 218 graduate and postgraduate programs, and 3 high schools, 28 research institutes, and has several international memberships. The university is a member of the European University Association (EUA), International Association of Universities (IAU) within the body of UNESCO, International Society for Engineering Education (IGIP), Joint Commission International (JCI), the Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW), and 118 other national and international institutions and foundations.
The Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Dentistry, and the Faculty of Pharmacy are the only ones of their kind in North Cyprus. The hospital of Near East University where you will have practical exercises is the most advanced research and training hospital of Eastern Mediterranean region. As you can tell by now, Near East University has your back when it comes to studying to become a medical practitioner.
Near East University provides students with all-round on-campus facilities and opportunities. For example, if you are the sporty type, you can take advantage of its sports fields, health and fitness centres, or the Olympic swimming pool. When you’d like to have a drink and chat with other students, there are cafes, student clubs, radio-TV centre, library, shops and restaurants to do so.
Other amenities include national and international banks, travel agencies, post office, scheduled transport between the city and airport from early morning till late night, 24 hours security, and health services. Basically, Near East University is a heaven on earth for medical students or students in general, as you will rarely see any drawback. In conclusion, it’s one of the best medical universities in Europe to study in.
Near East University’s address is Near East Boulevard, ZIP: 99138 Nicosia, Cyprus.
Medical Faculties of Near East University Tuition Fees
The available courses in English related to health sciences here are general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and veterinary medicine. Tuition fees and study durations of each course are:
- Medicine – €12,600 per year, 6 years
- Dentistry – €11.600 per year, 5 years
- Pharmacy – €8.600 per year, 5 years
- Veterinary – €8.600 per year, 5 years
Near East University has an impressive dormitory capacity of 5000 people, divided into more than 20 buildings, with rooms and apartments ranging from a classic single dorm room to luxury dormitory apartments. All rooms are properly equipped with a desk, bookcase, wardrobe, chair, refrigerator, TV, telephone, and high-speed internet, and the campus offers all the services needed to make you feel at home. For example:
- 24/7 emergency services with teams that can be reached on domestic phone number 256;
- Campus supervision by security personnel 24 hours a day;
- Quality standard cleaning services of all dormitories;
- Fully equipped common kitchens in all dormitories plus food and beverage facilities available every day until midnight;
- Safety rooms for storing valuable belongings;
- Free scheduled transportation to Nicosia City Centre for students
- Maintenance services and repair teams
- Health centre and psychological counselling and guidance
- Laundry services, shopping services, parking, bank/ATM, and more
Prices for a spot in one of the dormitories will start from €900 per year. Living costs are around €300 per month and will cover general students living fees including utilities, books, food, and entertainment.
Near East University Medicine Admission & Entry Requirements
Good news! There’s no entry exam in Biology and Chemistry. For international students, all you need to do is pass the English entry exam. For admission, the university accepts the following diplomas and certificates:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) Exam results
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) Exam results
- International Baccalaureate Exam results
- American College Testing (ACT) Exam results
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Exam results
- Tawjihi Exam results ( for Jordanian and Palestinian students)
- Baccalaureate Exam results ( for Lebanese, Iraqi and Syrian students)
- Diploma Debirestan” Exam results (for Iranian students)
- Higher Secondary Certificate Exam results ( for Pakistani, Indian and Bangladesh students)
- WAEC/NECO Exam results (for Nigerian students)
- GAOKAO Exam results (for Chinese students)
- High School Diploma (for all other Overseas students)
The deadline for applying is late August. Apply via Medlink Students and we will help you with all the entry requirements, do the paperwork for you, and provide general support throughout your educational period and beyond.
University Term Dates
The first semester begins in September and ends in December. The second semester begins on 1 February till late May. The academic year is 32 weeks (7 months) long. Exams are usually held in January and June.
Near East University Curriculum & Syllabus
Curricula for the health sciences rarely changes, so these are the latest curriculum releases by the university:
Faculty of Medicine – Near-East-University-Faculty-of-Medicine-Course-Catalogue
Faculty of Dentistry – Dentistry-Course-Catalog-2016-2017
Faculty of Pharmacy – Pharmacy-Course-Catalog-2016-2017
Faculty of Veterinary – Veterinary-Course-Catalog-2016-2017
You will get an international degree in medicine when you complete your studies successfully. The degree is accepted in all European Union states, European Economic Area and of course by the General Medical Council (GMC), and worldwide.
All the faculties and departments forming Near East University in Cyprus are already accredited by the following international organisations:
- INQAAHE – International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education
- UK NARIC – UK National agency responsible for providing information, advice and expert opinion on qualifications worldwide
- ENQA – European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education
- ENAEE – European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education, and more